The principal areas of interest are as follows:
- Neural networks, pattern recognition and machine learning, including multi-layer perceptrons, radial basis functions, and recurrent networks.
- Signal processing, non-stationary time-series analysis, speech coding and compression.
- Speech recognition using both neural networks and hidden Markov Models. This includes large vocabulary recognition, recognition in noise, speaker adaptation and word spotting.
- Language processing including N-grams, stochastic context-free grammars, grammatical inference, dictionary construction.
- Statistical machine translation
- Image processing and object recognition, including 3-D reconstruction from 2-D images, image segmentation, and face recognition.
- Visual navigation of mobile robots and task level and sensor-based robot control within an unstructured environment.
- Aspects of robot assembly including path planning, hand-eye coordination and quality inspection using computer vision, man-machine interfaces using visual gestures.
- Aspects of medical imaging, including the acquisition, visualisation, registration and segmentation of 3D ultrasound images for medical diagnosis.
- Risk analysis in various aspects of health care.
Please see details of current research projects for each group: